April 05, 2007

The Sad Thing about Wednesday

Last Wednesday I went to a luncheon at a horse racing track. It was supposed to be a fun lunch where women where hats and network. I wasn't crazy about the hat part, I went for the networking.

I only bet once, a Quinella on the 4th race in which both of my horses came dead last. Ah, well, not traumatizing. At least they were pretty and had nice uniform colors. What happened two races later, now that was traumatic.

During the 6th race, something happened to horse number 7, and he tripped, falling to his knees, wrenching his head and neck to his breast and throwing his rider. Horse number 4 was so close behind him that he tripped over the rider, also fell and threw his rider. Both the horses got up quickly and dispersed, number 7 running after the rest of the horses down the track and number 4 just kind of getting away from the scene.

Number 7 was fine. But number 4, he limped. And I knew that very second that his leg was broken and he'd have to be put down. I just didn't realize they'd do it right there. Right then. In front of me.

Some track people gathered number 4 and held him by the reigns. Two other workers were bringing a green tarp and began to raise it to sheild the horse from public view. My colleague started to ask "what is the tarp fo-" and before it was completely raised so that Club Level couldn't see beyond it, a man pointed a gun at the horse's head and the horse fell to the ground. Seven minutes from leg break to dead.

Now THAT is traumatic. I'm happy the track is closing this year. I don't think I could ever go back. It's just too sad that once a horse has a broken leg he's a gonner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister's a vet. She was telling me quarter horses are so inbred that they have all kinds of problems. Sometimes they'll be running along and just die in mid-stride from some sort of genetic defect.

When the trainers can get away with it the horses are pumped full of steroids, cortezone, and stimulants. Sometimes they put ground glass under the wrappings on the horses feet (I don't remember why - maybe to throw the race?). When the horse's career is over it's off to the dog-food factory unless it won enough races to be valuable as a stud.

I'm really not much of an animal lover, but in this case I agree with you wholeheartedly. Wouldn't miss this "sport" for a moment if it were gone.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that first post was me.

Eric

Author said...

Way to make a girl feel more traumatized than she was before! Is that what horse racing horses are - quarter horses? They don't seem quarter anything to me. All I know is that, regardless of all the drugs and trickery, if a horse breaks a leg, he's done (case in point that recent race horse who they tried to save for months to no avail). So sad!

I LOVE animals! How can you not?!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE animals! How can you not?!

Well, apparently there's only so much animal love you can have in a family, and my sister got it all.

Part of it probably has to do with my dating experience. Lots of women who've had a few failed relationships tend to get really emotionally attached to their cats. I guess because they know the cat won't leave? Anyway, I don't like having to share a woman's affection with furry little animal that coughes up hairballs.

Eric

Author said...

Gotta avoid women with cats?