September 25, 2005

"Girl Dies From Splinter"

I decided yesterday that the beginning of Fall is the perfect time to do some spring cleaning. All was going fine until I started dusting.

Man, I was going at it. Top to bottom of every room. Starting with a duster on the picture railings, then on the baseboards, and followed up with a brush over with a "Grab-it" dust cloth then a spritz of cleaner. I was neurotic. It was like a drug.

By the 3rd room I had the routine down and was going to town on the baseboards of my Queen Anne rounded window and BLAM! Serious splinter, I thought, right under my thumb nail. Went to the bathroom to grab the tweezers and the hypochondriac in me came alive.

What has happened is that I scraped the loose paint with my thumb nail, hard enough to tear the paint and some wood away and dig in about 2mm into my nail. I tried and tried to dig it all out, but it is just absolutely jammed down and deep. Normally I wouldn't worry about this, but because of all the lead-based paint warnings being waived around here in CA, I am afraid that I have scraped some old sick lead-based paint layer into there too, and soon I will keel over from lead poisoning. Seems silly to go to the ER for a splinter penetration under my nail, but it's not as silly as dying from dusting.


No comments: