March 10, 2005

Have You Ever Been Told?

Have you ever been told you remind someone of a celebrity? I have:

1. The first time I was told this was when I was 19 and on a cruise to Mexico. There was a very dashing older (WAY older) man who looked like Sean Connery taking his nightcap at the bar. He told me I reminded him of Goldie Hawn. I think it was more of a personality thing?

2. The second time I was at a friend's party, and one of her friends who is a director of indie films here in SF told me I looked like Mira Sorvino. Who? I immediately checked that out and found out her claim to fame was in the Woodie Allen movie Mighty Aphrodite. I rented the movie because of this. Happy for the look, but hope she wasn't referring to the voice. Or the brains. Or the occupation.

3. This was the oddest of celebrity relations (yes, K.O. you were there). A friend's cousin in L.A. told me I reminded him of.... Danny DeVito. Danny DeVito? Danny F'n DeVito!!! It took me a long time, but I finally realized he was comparing my HUMOR, not my LOOKS. Thank God. Here's a tip for the fellas: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER tell a woman she reminds you of a short bald fat male comedian. Never. If you are asking why, then you don't understand that women always feel they are being compared to someone in the form of one's appearance.

4. Most recently, in a sales meeting, one of my colleagues whispered to me "Do you watch '24'?" I replied, "No, not really." She then said "You look kind of like the character Chloe." I nodded. I became immediately obsessed with Chloe. Where's Chloe goddamit? There's no one named Chloe in this episode! I continued to watch another 2 episodes, still no Chloe, before asking a friend who watches the show regularly where the hell this chick was. "Chloe's gone." Damn. So I finally out of boredom and curiosity checked her out. The actress' name is really Mary Lynn Rajskub, and apparently we've had stints in Legally Blonde II and Punch Drunk Love as well as 24.

Anyway, if you've clicked on all the links so far, I guess you have an idea now of what I look like. Hopefully you don't see the Danny DeVito connection.

No comments: