October 03, 2006

Loose Change

For some reason it feels like forever since I've posted anything. Maybe that's because in early August I decided to start leading life by the reigns instead of letting it pull me hither and nither. And so, for the past few months, I've been trying to pick up, organize, and be productive. What I did was eliminate (in half-assed sorta way) effectiveless use of time, and for some reason, staying up till 2a having a few drinks chez moi and pontificating ridiculous thoughts on a blog seemed a perfect thing to eradicate from the routine.

I miss giving some dish, or comments or insights, despite my frequent lapses of judgement for which I regret sharing some outbursts here, and I've found that writing is an important aspect of being a productive person. It clears the pipes, organizes loose change, and let's me rest my brain when my head actually hits the pillow.

The challenge now is to find the time. Since I don't stay up till 2 anymore, it's not as easy to fit in. I've often wished for something that you can just plug into the side of your head and it would translate the thoughts onto a harddrive for editing later. I especially need this now as most of my free-flow thinking time is when I run in the morning. Hey when is iPod gonna add this feature? Then I'll definitely buy one.

The "New Gertie" comes and goes these days. It's pretty hard to make a dramatic life change and stick with it. I'm not getting up at 6:15 anymore, because I'm a big baby and I don't want to run in the dark. Or work before it's light. But I'm still running 2 work mornings a week and the long distance runs on Saturdays. This past Saturday I decided to run over the Golden Gate Bridge and back. I love the Golden Gate Bridge. Something about it's quiet stoicism, I guess.

Another area that has been quiet the past week or so has been work. After a huge rush of activity for 3 straight weeks, I've only got one client right now, and stomping the pavement to drum up new business just plain sucks when nothing comes of it. It gets hard to keep it up. The Bloomingdales and its "premier" mall just opened, and it takes a lot of things on the to-do list to keep me from playing hooky one day to look at stuff I can't afford.

Hey did Gertie tell you she met a guy? Well, I'm still playing this one out. Tough call on this guy, who has met my parents but none of my [close] friends. I have heard him referred to [from my not close friends] as "a dickhead" and "an ass." I concur that he can be these things sometimes, I've seen it in action. Mom is gaga over him. When she met him she pulled me aside...
Mom: I like him, you can just tell he's a good man.
Gertie: You're just sensing the Tribe Vibe, Mom.
Mom: The what?
Gertie: The Tribe Vibe... he's Jewish.
Which probably gave an additional little warm spot to him in her heart. Before the Jewish holiday she suggested I bake him a honey cake. I said "if he ever decides to call me then maybe I would." Basically, I have never been so pulled around by someone I'm dating before. I cannot tell you how many times my best friend has heard "it's over!" and "he called!" in the past six weeks. Ridiculous. Nature should have just stopped with the opposable thumb - it'd be easier on us all.

And that's the weekend update, folks.

2 comments:

Dawn Summers said...

Hmmm...I've been meaning to get started on the Dawn, but then something comes up and I decide to start tomorrow. Sigh. No..definitely, tomorrow!

GL with the new guy.

Author said...

What, improve the Dawn? Is there anything left to improve? Oh, right, the sleeping thing might be one. Or the poker addiction. Well, at least you "never get drunk." Ha.