April 04, 2005

Am I at the Zoo?

I am housesitting in Alameda and it is like the Wild Kingdom over here. I have a 2.5 month old puppy (NOT potty trained as previously advised), a 4 month old basset hound (WAS potty trained until he decided to take advantage of my presence and shit under the dining table), and 3 cats. Last night one of the cats was howling at 1 am, I went downstairs to find that he had mutilated but not killed a mouse, which I had to grab with paper towel by the tail and throw outside.

Needless to say, the house reeks of puppy urine and I was at a boiling point today. Finally a friend brought me to my senses by simply saying "they are just puppies, they only know what their owners have taught them" so on my way back from the office I stopped and bought them treats and now I take them to the backyard every hour, force them to pee, then praise the hell out of them.

OK, off to bed, because Bob the cat (the cat that was obliviously sleeping on the couch next to the mouse fiasco) seems to think it is very important that I am up by 6:30 every morning, and makes sure I am by walking on me and drooling on my face. Joy.

No comments: