November 13, 2005

Packing It Up

It is Sunday afternoon and I have been making a bigger and bigger mess since I woke up this morning.

I am packing, and if any of you have lived in the same place for more than a few years, well, you have a lot of stuff.

I really thought this packing thing would be a breeze. After all, for the last 3 years or so I've had a really tight budget, and have had little opportunity to exercise my materialistic tendancies. Additionally, there is very little storage in my apartment. Unfortunately, if one is considered good at packing, then inherently that person becomes a good pack rat. It's amazing how I've managed to accumulate little boxes and baskets that store knick nacks of all sorts that I used to think were really important to keep.

My closet has been the biggest surprise. It is only the size of a coat closet, but somehow I have managed to make it contain (aside from clothes) a suitcase, several rolls of gift wrap and a box of ribbons, a comforter, a quilt, a blanket, 4 sets of towels, 6 sets of sheets, an old box of files, my checkbooks for the last 6 years, 2 pairs of boots, a lacrosse stick, a tennis racket, a bag of worthless paper items, 2 halloween wigs, 4 ceramic sculptures I did in high school but still cannot bare to part with, and a box containing a car stereo and speakers. There's other stuff to but I think you get the point. It dawns on me that I am a bit of a pack rat.

Anyway, the point is that I am really tired from 2 days straight of this, but it's like a drug I can't stop. Passing any lingering item while walking from one room to another will just make me stop in my tracks and tackle it. I guess it's better than procrastinating.

1 comment:

Picasso Girl said...

Moving sucks! I know how you feel I moved out of my apt. of 8 years. It's just amazing how much crap there is. I basically said "F" it and threw out about 45% of my crap I once thought was so important....I guess I just did not want to pack & move it.

Hang in there....