November 02, 2005

The End of an Era

I'm moving! I'm moving!

After 9 years living in the same apartment, I'm cutting the cord. It's not that I want to, but budget confirms I have to.

One the one hand I am really sad. There are so many good memories from this place, and what is happening is like closing a really big chapter. I'm also downsizing, so the majority of my furniture has to go. And I do mean the majority! Let's just say the new place will be very zen and sparse. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to move from Bed to Bath at all.

I'll miss being close to Golden Gate Park, and I'll miss being around authentic people. After all this time I now know a lot of my neighbors and local businessmen. How will I know who to trust with my drycleaning?? Who else will give me a "neighborhood discount? "

On the other hand, of course, I'm a little excited. Finally getting out of The Haight. Away from the riff-raff of homeless runaway kids, of drugged out guys in their 60's who are STILL HERE from the '60's, away from the 2am bar-closing noise, the marked signs of vomit on the sidewalk, the smells of people living in the streets, the loonies, the tourists, etc etc. I just hope all of the plastic people in the new neighborhood will be tolerable. Yes, Little Los Angeles is where I'm headed, otherwise known as The Marina. Sorry folks, no room for guests. Or parties. But if you want some cozy one on one time with me, you got it!

No comments: