February 26, 2006

A Ziplock Bag Surprise

When I arrived at my office on Friday, I had a voicemail waiting from my mother. It said "Hi. I left something for you in your left drawer."

This is not an unusual message. My mom, bless her [healthy] heart, takes a bus part way to work and walks the rest of the way. Oft times, she is able to walk past my office, walk by the receptionist with a quick "I'm Gertie's Mom," and wisk something into the top drawer of my desk. Before I am even awake! An amazing women, to be sure.

I really like the fact that I live so close to my parents. Now that I've moved, it's even easier to get to their house, down to 25 minute drive from 35. A hop skip and a jump to free laundry, dinner, and some nice catch-up time. Yes, I know I'm 33, but I still bring the whites to mom's house. She'd reprimand me if I didn't, anyway. I do it to appease her, not to save $8.

So, I get to my office, I hear the message, delete it and hang up. I write a few points about the other, more demanding messages. I sort through my worthless office mail. Then, I open the drawer.

Next to my myriad of free notepads is a freshly placed ziplock bag. Filled with something hot pink and a post it. The hot pink is my underwear. The post it says: "I don't know how to fold 'these things.' And I don't understand how you can wear them. Love, Mom." Ha ha ha! Even funnier - it's not the first time I've received a package like this. From my mom, I mean. Which is actually quite sad. Yeah... uh... the Jewish mom thing IS a reality. And the ziplock bag is proof.


No comments: