April 05, 2006

If You're Anything Like Me: Issue One

If you're anything like me, you have watched several scenes on TV or in movies in which a couple of people are arguing in the bathroom while one of them is in the shower. They could be siblings, a married couple, boyfriend/girlfriend, but I think I have seen this scenario a bazillion times:

One of the arguers is in the shower. The other arguer is pacing the remaining space of the bathroom. Finally, the person pacing gets fed up, or is done, or considers this a perfect opportunity to accentuate his or her feelings, and so he or she flushes the toilet and storms out. The person in the shower screams and shakes.

Now, again, if you're anything like me, you wonder what this reaction is all about. You've lived with siblings or parents or signif others and shared the bathroom from time to time but have never had the flushing scenario. You may have even had a roommate flush the toilet while you were in the shower. Nothing to react to.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not stupid. I know that someone jumping, shaking or shreaking in the shower as a result to a toilet flush is adjusting to an extreme change in water temperature. I just never knew whether it was a warm-to-freezing or warm-to-boiling change.

Well, that's because, if you're like me (California suburban, then Colorado suburban, then French suburban), never before have you lived in a building that operates on a boiler. Because, now that I do, I know what this is a reaction to.

It's from warm-to-boiling. 3rd-f'g degree boiling. Thanks, upstairs neighbor.

No comments: