May 22, 2006

Momma

This is an e-mail I wrote to my mom this evening, in regards to a few things, including a book she recently passed to me, Billy Crystal's "700 Sundays." The e-mail went deeper than I ever intended it to go, and I thought it a rather poingnant post. You should know (only because I'm quite proud of myself) that my mom was a "non-reader" for decades and decades. In fact, she used to ostracize me for lying in bed on weekends as a pre-teen absorbed in a book and "wasting my day away." It was only when I read aloud to her from "Angela's Ashes," while we took the long drive up to Napa to make wine, that she got hooked on books. That was about 8 years ago... all I can say is, if you are moved by the e-mail below, then you will also be moved by the book that is mentioned, and you should definitely read it. Because life is ultimately about family:

Momma,
I have been up and down my stairs today at least 5 times, and let me tell you, I think I know your pain! Today at the house I didn't really want you to go upstairs to the top floor because I was already empathetic about your knee, but man oh man! After those stairs and my stairs thrice times over, I can really feel it! So from now on, even though you love my apartment, don't come up and down unnecissarily! OK? Ok.
And, I just want you to know that I also know about a lot of your other pains and worries. And I don't like to be one of them. (Please don't worry about me! A non-point because I know you will). I finished "700 Sundays" yesterday, and then re-read what your sister wrote on the note to you when giving you the book, and with that I could really see what she was talking about. Because really, you only had about "700 Sundays" with your dad, too. And your mom had to be so strong. And so did both of you (beyond some rebellion), in a way. And luckily for all of you, you had a strong family pulling together for the sake of all. And looking at today, the smaller families who are dispersed all over the world, those days are pretty much gone, unless the strong bonds of the previous generation are continued and emphasized. And I really do think that you and dad, and both your families, instilled that sense of togetherness in me and M, and you shouldn't worry about us supporting each other and both of you guys, no matter what comes. There is so much more I could digress into here but I won't. Just know that you have been (intro to belated Mother's Day recital) an amazing force in my life, and I appreciate having you as my mom every day and everything that you do for me and all the sleepless nights you spend worrying about your almost 34 year-old baby.
Oh, and by the way, I HATED and LOVED the last bit of the book. It was so sad and so prolific at the same time; how his mother, who was so strong (like all the women on your side) was fighting every bit to maintain the integrity and possession of her own body because it was her identity (like Rif at the end, putting her make-up on and fixing her hair for the MD) , and the fact that Billy C. knew and respected and admired every thread of his mother's being and intention throughout all her good and bad years. Anyway, thanks for passing the book along; I laughed out loud at parts (Aunt Sheila chapter) and cried at parts (mom aging chapter) and then laughed again. I love you!


Gertie...XX
Daughter (!)

1 comment:

Author said...

Post script: Momma called me; she was touched.