May 21, 2006

A Running Irony

My longtime visitors to this blog (yes, both of you) may recall my many frustrated posts about training for the Nike half marathon last October. I actually didn't have that many posts, because I didn't train as much as one probably should for running 13.1 miles, which in turn was what made everything about writing about the training so frustrating. Er, still with me?

Ok. Since October, I have been a very lazy girl. I have maybe, maybe run 8 times since then - about once a month - and nothing to the length or degree of difficulty in training for the half. So isn't it ironic, with my last run having been 3 weeks ago for about 45 minutes, that this morning I got up at 5:45am (that alone is a miracle) and ran a 12k race (7.4 mi) before heading home, hopping in the shower, and heading off to work?! I dare say it is. Especially since I drank some wine last night and went to bed at midnight.

My knee did give me some trouble starting at mile 4, and it was pretty much agony to keep pace for the next 3.4 miles, but my running partner and I finished faster than we had expected either of us to be able to manage in our respective physical shapes (she is in her late 50's and has never run that far).

So maybe I won't train for the San Francisco Half Marathon in July either. It seems to work pretty well.

No comments: