May 11, 2006

Oh, Long, Bitter, Nasty Sunny Day

Oh, curse this day! This day of UNfortune; this day on which the only goodness was the sun and lack of wind (for once, sheesh) and the so unfortunate was The Taxman (albe-him a nice old guy as far as the 1-800-1040 is concerned) confirming that, yes, indeed, I did make a VERY negative ($$) mistake on my tax return. Hrmpph. There goes a couple grand.

And so, with Mother's Day upon me, I face the biggest of single daughterly challenges: convincing my already over-concerned mother that YES, Ye of No Faith in Anything and Especially This, there is a brighter future than the Almost Bankrupt and Nowhere Near Married, which appears to be your only possible conclusion to any of my ventures. It just takes time (colleagues - and in the case of husbands, friends then - confirm). And a little credit. Yes, CREDIT! I know it's a concept overly believed in by my generation, generally not received at all in your generation, but it will have to do. Or, mother, would you rather I take all of your retirement now for a new Mercedes later? See, you don't believe me. So just pretend I'm not your child for a year. It will be better for both of us. And yes, you'll still get the 'Benz. What's that? Oh, you want a pristine '52 Benz with a canvas automatic top? Well, then... you'll have to wait a little longer. OK, a lot longer. But for you, ma, for you! I'll do it.

Er, Happy Mother's Day. Hope I don't die of almost penniless shame beforehand. Luv u mum!

No comments: