May 17, 2005

The Fiddler's Got Me Thinkin'

I rented Fiddler on The Roof tonight. To get back to my roots, I guess. I have seen Yentl, but this movie was made before my time. The ironic part is that it's not only about Jewish tradition, but altering it as well.
So it's no surprise that, while watching the wedding scene, I began incorporating traditional Jewish songs into my wedding reception playlist. I even started considering how my mom and my Aunt and I can circle my betrothed before I am given away. And of course there is the breaking of the glass and the "Malzaltov!" to wrap things up.
But I don't even have a boyfriend, and for the umpteenth time I remember that girls are raised on fairy tales and love stories, and thus it's not difficult for me to start spinning a tale that may never come to fruition. What I do know is that I will be singing "matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match, find me a keeper, catch me a catch!" for the next couple weeks.
Seems like Rifka the Fly (i.e. my late grandmother) has been spending a little too much time hovering around. Oy....

No comments: